Canada has added to the international pressure on the Central Bank of Syria by imposing new sanctions on the institution.
On March 5, the Canadian foreign affairs minister John Baird said: "The continuing, appalling violence perpetrated by the Assad regime on the people of Syria compels us to again tighten the vice on those responsible."
The latest measures saw Canada add the Syrian central bank to the list of entities facing an asset freeze and a ban on economic dealings.
"We must put concerted
- Canada’s Project Jasper to explore clearing of securities in third phase
- Treasury committee to investigate BoE’s lack of diversity
- Fed’s Powell: banks still have important role in payments
- Bank of Portugal sells majority share in ‘good bank’
- Xi sees renminbi taking greater role in global monetary system