Jörg Asmussen, a State Secretary at Germany's finance ministry, has been selected to replace Jürgen Stark at the European Central Bank, after the executive board member unexpectedly resigned on Friday.
Germany's finance ministry on Monday said Wolfgang Schäuble, its finance minister, had confirmed Asmussen's nomination to the ECB position vacated by Stark, saying he hoped his deputy would be able to start work at the bank towards the end of the year.
Asmussen, seen as a crisis management expert,
- Argentine finance minister becomes central bank governor as crisis deepens
- BoJ cuts inflation estimate as it holds rates
- Trump’s fiscal policy threatens emerging markets – Lagarde
- IMF report says Mauritius central bank needs clearer resolution powers
- Argentina abandons monetary financing to secure IMF support