Yu Yongding, a former member of the monetary policy committee of the People's Bank of China, has said "now is the time" for China to end its dependency on the dollar.
Writing in the Financial Times newspaper on Friday, Yu said: "China must stop buying US dollars and allow the renminbi exchange rate to be decided by market forces as soon as possible." He added that China should have done this "a long time ago".
Yu urged Chinese officials to stop "hesitating and dithering" and called for the count
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde