Microfinance providers can be regulated using some of the same core principles that apply to banks, the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision said on Tuesday.
"Some principles will apply equally to banks and other deposit taking institutions engaged in microfinance regardless of the nature of microfinance activities, or complexity and size of supervised institutions," the committee said.
Of the 25 original core principles for effective banking supervision, revised in July 2007, six were immedia
- Central banks may be thinking wrongly about inflation – Borio
- European Commission announces supervisory agency reforms
- Bank of Russia will be able to handle fallout from failing banks, analysts say
- Riksbank outlines three visions of ‘e-krona’
- Uruguay’s digital currency pilot ‘close to launch’, says governor