Thirachai Phuvanat-naranubala, central bank deputy governor, denied news reports which attributed the baht's weakness to government plans to make early repayments on debt owed to the International Monetary Fund, the Bangkok Post reported.
Official reserves were already sufficient to cover repayments, he said.
The baht's depreciation stemmed more from the move by several
- James Bullard on 2% rates, tariffs and Fed leadership
- Podcast: David Hendry and John Muellbauer on empirical macro
- Argentinian central bank takes drastic action over currency crisis
- Turkish central bank raises overnight rates in bid to stop lira’s fall
- Policies must change to stop emerging markets crisis, analysts say