Asked at a press conference to comment on the likely impact of stubbornly high inflation on interest rates, Almunia said: "It is up to the ECB to consider decisions on monetary policy."
The ECB's independence "is a huge asset that has provided us (with) price stability and low interest rates", he added
- Trump criticises Fed over rate rises and threatens higher tariffs
- Implementation of new Sofr rate is “ahead of schedule”, says Fed vice-chair
- Central bank digital currency a ‘terrible idea’, US Congress told
- MAS strengthens use of data to combat financial crimes
- Philippines considers boosting central bank capital