Asked at a press conference to comment on the likely impact of stubbornly high inflation on interest rates, Almunia said: "It is up to the ECB to consider decisions on monetary policy."
The ECB's independence "is a huge asset that has provided us (with) price stability and low interest rates", he added
- Central banks may be thinking wrongly about inflation – Borio
- European Commission announces supervisory agency reforms
- Bank of Russia will be able to handle fallout from failing banks, analysts say
- Riksbank outlines three visions of ‘e-krona’
- Uruguay’s digital currency pilot ‘close to launch’, says governor