The payment was described as an "interim payment", pending settlement of the Bank's full legal bill.
The Bank estimates its full bill for the 12-year litigation at more than £80m, including about £8m interest.
Nicholas Stadlen, QC for the Bank of England,
- EU stress tests should follow US example – EBA chairman
- Podcast series: central banking in the post-crisis world
- Central banks should challenge risky fintech projects – Carstens
- Research project weighs bold plans for cross-border payments
- Sri Lankan central bank tackles ‘large and persistent’ liquidity deficit