Using a complex set of economic models, an IMF paper identified a vague combination of "financial market developments" as a likely contributor to the rand's drop.
Authors Ashok Bhundia and Jan Gottschalk concluded "Essentially, we find that financial market developments are the most likely source of the depreciation, but the exact cause remains
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde