Mr Cavallo was economy minister under former President Carlos Menem, who has previously spent six months also been arrested, when arms sold legitimately to Panama and Venezuela made their way to Ecuador and Croatia in 1991, 1993 and 1995.
But he denies doing any more than authorising the legitimate sales.
- Auditors find ‘flaws’ in ECB’s crisis management framework
- Economists need to better understand macrofinancial links – BIS paper
- Home truths on Europe’s NPLs
- Central banks lack ‘firepower’ to combat financial crises, says report
- Ukrainian bank owners carried out ‘co-ordinated fraud’, forensic audit says