The United States, the IMF's biggest shareholder and a vital ally of Argentina, welcomed the deal.
But both the US and the IMF insisted that tough conditions were tied to the money.
Argentina will have to use much of the money in an exchange programme to help pay down its $128bn debt burden.
Some $5bn of the money could be made available as early as Septe
- Fintech in the ‘new era’ – Sustainable and sound development
- China’s macroeconomy in the ‘new era’ of politics and power
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting