"The dollar foreign-exchange rate is the wrong focus, we should focus on effective exchange rates and bilateral exchange rates," Weber told reporters after a luncheon at the World Economic Forum.
He noted that since 1999 Germany has gained 6 percent in price competitiveness compared with the rest of the euro zone. Italy, by contrast, has lost 12 percent.
"We talk to
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde