And there is little short term prospect of a recovery, according to the Minister for Economic & Fiscal Policy, who predicted that Japan's economy would stay in recession for the next two years.
Adding to the gloom, some of Japan's biggest corporate names plunged into the red for the half year ending September.
Japan's biggest consumer electronics firm Matsushita Electric Industrial crashed to a $579m loss, Mitsubishi
- Turkish central bank carries out emergency rate hike as currency falls
- Podcast: San Fran Fed’s Daly on gender inequality in central banks
- US House passes deregulation bill with bipartisan support
- Philippines central bank launches reorganisation
- Swift starts work on pan-European real-time payment connectivity pilot