The area would cover a market of nearly two billion people.
The agreement was reached during talks in Brunei between the Chinese Prime Minister, Zhu Rongji, and the 10 leaders of the Association of South East Asian Nations (Asean).
China's economy is growing fast, and trade with South East Asia is worth $40bn a year and rising.
The Malaysian Prime Minister, Mahathir Mohamad, ha
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Dudley backs floor-based system for setting monetary policy
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations