"In the context of increasing openness of the economy and a market-determined exchange rate, the large capital inflows witnessed in recent years have posed major challenges to the conduct of monetary and exchange rate management," said Mr Reddy.
"The recent episode of large capital flows prompted a debate in India on the need for exchange rate adjustment," he added.
- Turkish central bank carries out emergency rate hike as currency falls
- Podcast: San Fran Fed’s Daly on gender inequality in central banks
- US House passes deregulation bill with bipartisan support
- Philippines central bank launches reorganisation
- Dudley calls for ‘aggressive action’ on benchmark reforms