Gideon Gono, the governor of the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe, has reportedly denied that the inflation-ravaged country is considering the adoption of the South African rand as its currency.
The adoption of the currency of the bigger and richer neighbour to the south has been mooted for a number of years as an option to combat hyperinflation. According the last official statistics released in Zimbabwe, prices rose by 231m% in July last year. Inflation is reported to have risen sharply since then,
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde