'We are of course not satisfied with inflation above 2 pct,' Trichet said in the speech.
'Since the launch of the euro back in 1999, the inflation rate in the euro area has been on average slightly above 2 pct,' he said.
Trichet also said output growth in the euro zone has been 'disappointing'.
A major rea
- James Bullard on 2% rates, tariffs and Fed leadership
- Turkish central bank raises overnight rates in bid to stop lira’s fall
- Podcast: David Hendry and John Muellbauer on empirical macro
- Policies must change to stop emerging markets crisis, analysts say
- Next financial crisis “will be brewing” in shadow banking – Bullard