Saccomani replaces Vincenzo Desario, who brings to a close his 47-year official career at the bank but has been given the title of honorary director general, the report said.
Mr Desario became the first person under new rules that requires all managers, apart from the governor, to stand down from the central bank's directorate after a period of 12 years.
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting
- Fintech in the ‘new era’ – Sustainable and sound development
- China’s macroeconomy in the ‘new era’ of politics and power