"The president of the ECB has been informed of the decision of the governor of the Bank of Italy, Antonio Fazio, to resign," the ECB said.
"The ECB fully respects this decision and the judgement of Governor Fazio that is was the best decision to make in the wider interests of his country and the Bank of Italy," it added.
- Kohn ‘deeply’ worried Fed might not have support to fight next crisis
- Book notes: Macroprudential policy and practice, edited by Paul Mizen, Margarita Rubio and Philip Turner
- BoE revamps expenses rules after criticism from MPs
- Draghi warns of downside risks as ECB ends net asset purchases
- EME central banks can counter the next downturn