Just two days after he said on September 12 that central banks should avoid giving the impression that they will help to salvage banks that have made bad lending decisions, the Bank provided emergency funds to Northern Rock in the biggest bail-out of a British bank in 30 years.
Economists claim that if the Bank had acted earlier, Northern Rock would have been able to avoid the
- World’s largest SWF bars investment in four companies for guideline breaches
- ECB needed better data in 2008 crisis, says Lautenschläger
- Brazilian government must respect central bank independence – IMF
- Is the pursuit of a common accounting standard for gold a fool’s errand?
- Seychelles must act fast on money-laundering, says central bank