The Bank is fighting to keep down borrowing costs and stem the run on mortgage lender Northern Rock. It stated that "secured overnight money market rates have been unusually high" in relation to the benchmark rate - the overnight rate that banks charge shot up by 60 basis points to 6.47% yesterday, the
- World’s largest SWF bars investment in four companies for guideline breaches
- ECB needed better data in 2008 crisis, says Lautenschläger
- Brazilian government must respect central bank independence – IMF
- Is the pursuit of a common accounting standard for gold a fool’s errand?
- Seychelles must act fast on money-laundering, says central bank