Caruana, a former governor of the Bank of Spain and chairman of the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision, will take over on 1 April 2009.
Caruana has been hotly tipped for the job since Knight stepped down in July.
As the BIS said on Friday, the official has had strong connections with
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde