Addressing an international seminar here, Mundell praised China's policy of keeping its currency's exchange rate stable.
"You shouldn't change that, as it is working well," he said.
The Columbia University economist, known as the "father of the euro," was awarded the 1999 Nobel economics prize for his research into economic and monetary union.
He said that China is lucky to have receive
- James Bullard on 2% rates, tariffs and Fed leadership
- Turkish central bank raises overnight rates in bid to stop lira’s fall
- Podcast: David Hendry and John Muellbauer on empirical macro
- Argentinian central bank takes drastic action over currency crisis
- Policies must change to stop emerging markets crisis, analysts say