They said some people got carried away by the strong performance of the rand in December, causing them to expect a rate cut as early as this month.
"Reserve Bank governor Tito Mboweni had to clarify the situation and put paid to such market rumours," Standard Bank economist Monica Ambrosi told South Africa's Independent Onli
- Central banks may be thinking wrongly about inflation – Borio
- European Commission announces supervisory agency reforms
- Bank of Russia will be able to handle fallout from failing banks, analysts say
- Riksbank outlines three visions of ‘e-krona’
- Uruguay’s digital currency pilot ‘close to launch’, says governor