The Bank's director for Europe, John Townend, made his comments soon after Ernst & Young's economic forecasting group, the Item Club, called on the Bank to reduce sterling's strength in order to help the economy.
In a speech in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Mr Townend acknowledged that "the sterling exchange rate is clearly overvalued, at least against the euro".
But he went on to insist that a f
- Bank of Mexico admits $15.2 million went missing in cyber heist
- Is this the beginning of a new era of credit risk management technology?
- Argentina rescue advances as emerging markets suffer outflows
- Artificial intelligence: The future of regulation?
- Norges Bank does not rule out launching digital currency