The Bank's last Inflation Report predicted as its baseline scenario that inflation would reach 3% towards the middle of this year.
But the pace at which inflation has quickened, from 2.5% in March to 3% last month, has taken economists across the City of London by surprise.
"Inflation was expected to rise from 2.5% to 2.6%," said George Buckley, the chief UK econo
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde