The ECB's family of 12 banks have been major sellers of gold since the euro launch in 1999, helping to drive prices down to a 20-year low at the start of the decade, the report said.
The British daily said the ECB confirmed one of its member banks bought gold in the week ending December 22, 2006, but did not identify the amount
- Central banks may be thinking wrongly about inflation – Borio
- European Commission announces supervisory agency reforms
- Bank of Russia will be able to handle fallout from failing banks, analysts say
- Riksbank outlines three visions of ‘e-krona’
- All central banks may have to consider crypto-currencies – BIS