Because of the limited risk at present of inflation surging, the BOJ's "tightening cycle started in mid-July to return to more normal levels of interest rates needs to be gradual," Rato said in a speech at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan.
Rato also noted Japan's economic recovery, saying that recent developments have been "very encouraging."
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Central banks: the economy’s emergency responders
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde