The head of the Polish central bank (NBP), Leszek Balcerowicz, has come under fierce attack from legislators for his refusal to block the proposed merger of BPH and Pekao, the local units of Italy's UniCredito.
But Almunia said central bank independence is a 'principle' of the EU treaty not only a criterion for euro entry.
'So the (European) Commission will support all
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- China’s macroeconomy in the ‘new era’ of politics and power
- Fintech in the ‘new era’ – Sustainable and sound development
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting