Schmitz, who was also a former Austrian finance minister, died in Vienna after an illness, the People's Party, the centre-right political party of which he was a member, said.
Schmitz took the helm at the central bank in 1968, after a four-year spell as finance minister.
In 1972 Schmitz fixed the schilling to several foreign currencies including the deutschemark - a policy credited with enhancing
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting
- Fintech in the ‘new era’ – Sustainable and sound development
- China’s macroeconomy in the ‘new era’ of politics and power