Finance Minister Antonio Palocci nominated Tombini, 40, an economist at the central bank, to replace Eduardo Loyo, who left the post last month.
Tombini would be one of the nine board members, led by bank President Henrique Meirelles, who set the country's interest rate at its monthly meetings.
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Dudley backs floor-based system for setting monetary policy
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting