Mr Bini Smaghi, 48, who has worked previously at the ECB, as well as the Bank of Italy, is regarded as orthodox on monetary policy. He is also thought likely to support the ECB's hardline stance on reform of the stability and growth pact.
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde