Sources quoted in the report suggested that the same charge has already been brought against Mr Fazio's former head of banking supervision, Francesco Frasca.
Both men are accused by Rome prosecutors of abusing their position, while Mr Fazio is also charged with insider trading in Milan, the report added.
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- Dudley backs floor-based system for setting monetary policy
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations