"The Bank of Italy gave Unipol today the reasons that prevented it from agreeing to the authorisation for the takeover of BNL," the central bank said in a statement.
The central bank did not explain the reasons for its veto.
Unipol said in a separate state
- Central banks may be thinking wrongly about inflation – Borio
- European Commission announces supervisory agency reforms
- Bank of Russia will be able to handle fallout from failing banks, analysts say
- Riksbank outlines three visions of ‘e-krona’
- Uruguay’s digital currency pilot ‘close to launch’, says governor