Hank Paulson, the US Treasury Secretary announced what he termed a "conservatorship" of the enterprises on Sunday. Under the arrangement the enterprises will "modestly increase" their holdings of mortgage-backed securities through 2009 in a bid to kick start a housing-market recovery.
- BoE sparks controversy over expenses disclosure
- Further US tightening risks recession – St Louis Fed president
- Cyprus ex-governor says authorities asked for false audit of failed bank
- Riksbank says all banks should be ‘obliged’ to continue cash services
- Iranian central bank looking for alternative to Swift, local media says