Fears that Saambou Bank's bad debts in its microlending business, which lends small sums to individuals and small businesses, could pull it under were growing among customers who were left unable to access their accounts.
Saambou has a 5% share of the country's retail savings market.
The run on the bank led the central bank,
- Latvian police detain central bank governor on corruption charges
- Ireland withdraws Lane’s nomination for ECB vice president
- Saudi Arabia’s Alkholifey on economic restructuring, reserves and cyber security
- Central banks mull securities lending as response to low yields
- ECB orders Latvia to shutter bank over laundering allegations