The proposed change means people will key in a PIN number when they use their card instead of signing a receipt.
Last year, card fraud was estimated to have cost the industry about £400m and it is hoped the new scheme will halve mis-use within three years.
The total cost of carrying out the new measures is estimated at £1.1bn, spread over the next two to three years.
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting
- Dudley backs floor-based system for setting monetary policy
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations