The Bank said yesterday it was considering the sale of its printing press at Debden, Essex, a move that would put responsibility for producing English pounds into private hands for the first time in the currency's history.
De La Rue, one of only a small number of companies that print notes commercially, said it would "watch developments with interest".
- World’s largest SWF bars investment in four companies for guideline breaches
- ECB needed better data in 2008 crisis, says Lautenschläger
- Brazilian government must respect central bank independence – IMF
- Is the pursuit of a common accounting standard for gold a fool’s errand?
- Seychelles must act fast on money-laundering, says central bank