Central Banking (CB): How has the outlook changed in the last few months for the Bank?
Charles Goodhart (CG): I think the news on the real economy has got worse. Inflation is probably much as they'd expected as they're getting some pleasure from the decline in oil prices from $147 back down to $120.
A slowdown is occurring and that will bring about a reduction in energy and food prices, which have been the main drivers of inflation. But this is not simply within the command of the Bank alone. T
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde