Just 14 years ago Mongolia was a politically tightly-controlled society with an economic system totally dominated by central planning apparatus, and where any kind of private entrepreneurship was prosecuted as "capitalist greed or profiteering". Mongolia was very closely linked to the Comecon trading bloc and heavily dependent on aid from the Soviet Union. Economic policy was subordinated to directives from Moscow.
In 1990, with the collapse of the Eastern bloc, Mongolia bravely launched wide ec
- BoE sparks controversy over expenses disclosure
- Riksbank says all banks should be ‘obliged’ to continue cash services
- Cyprus ex-governor says authorities asked for false audit of failed bank
- Norwegian government recommends Norges Bank retain control of SWF
- Iranian central bank looking for alternative to Swift, local media says