Less than half of central banks implement blackout periods

Concept most often used in high income markets

A significant proportion of central banks across different jurisdictions do not observe blackout periods around monetary policy decisions.

Of the 38 participants that answered the question in the Monetary Policy Benchmarks 2022, 55% (21 institutions) do not carry out blackout periods as part of their monetary policy processes. The other 45% (17 banks) however, said they do.

A further breakdown of the data reveals that blackout periods last an average of nine days in a central bank. The longest

Only users who have a paid subscription or are part of a corporate subscription are able to print or copy content.

To access these options, along with all other subscription benefits, please contact info@centralbanking.com or view our subscription options here: http://subscriptions.centralbanking.com/subscribe

You are currently unable to copy this content. Please contact info@centralbanking.com to find out more.

Sorry, our subscription options are not loading right now

Please try again later. Get in touch with our customer services team if this issue persists.

New to Central Banking? View our subscription options

If you already have an account, please sign in here.

You need to sign in to use this feature. If you don’t have a Central Banking account, please register for a trial.

Sign in
You are currently on corporate access.

To use this feature you will need an individual account. If you have one already please sign in.

Sign in.

Alternatively you can request an individual account here: