The governing council of the Bank of Canada left interest rates unchanged after its monetary policy meeting today (December 5). Policy-makers stressed the damaging effects of trade disputes on the economy.
Rate-setters left the overnight rate at 1.75%, the bank rate at 2% and the deposit rate at 1.5%.
Despite the hold, the central bank plans to continue the gradual tightening initiated in 2017. The “governing council continues to judge that the policy interest rate will need to rise into a
- Demonetisation backer becomes new RBI governor
- Kohn ‘deeply’ worried Fed might not have support to fight next crisis
- Central banks turn to visual communication in 2018
- Book notes: Macroprudential policy and practice, edited by Paul Mizen, Margarita Rubio and Philip Turner
- Indian governor resigns after conflict with government