Basel: The governor of the Central Reserve Bank of Peru has been appointed chair of the Consultative Council for the Americas at the Bank for International Settlements.
Julio Velarde took over from Canada’s Stephen Poloz on January 9, and will lead the council for a period of two years.
“The BIS Board expressed its gratitude to Mr Poloz for his leadership during his time as chair,” a statement from the BIS said.
Velarde, a career central banker, joined Peru’s central bank in 1982. Rising thro
- Auditors find ‘flaws’ in ECB’s crisis management framework
- Home truths on Europe’s NPLs
- Central banks lack ‘firepower’ to combat financial crises, says report
- Economists need to better understand macrofinancial links – BIS paper
- Ukrainian bank owners carried out ‘co-ordinated fraud’, forensic audit says