When you began the job of governor, what advice did your predecessor, Patrick Honohan, give you?
Probably the most important thing was: “It’s up to you. Don’t feel bound by prior decisions if you want to move in different directions.” It was very nice to hear that. Beyond that, we were long-time collaborators, since the late nineties. So I absorbed my example from his period in office, rather than from any direct advice.
Was it important that you had policy experience, from the European
- Reserve manager of the year: Bank of Mexico
- Initiative of the year: RBNZ’s Financial Strength Dashboard
- BoJ must normalise policy to cope with ageing population – former official
- Innovation in reserve management: BNP Paribas Asset Management
- Malta’s crypto asset plan means greater money laundering risks, IMF warns