The South African Reserve Bank has appointed an independent investigator to examine VBS Bank following a report suggesting the institution had engaged in fraudulent reporting.
Terry Motau SC will examine whether any business conducted by the commercial bank was conducted with the “intent to defraud” depositors or creditors. He will also need to determine whether any of the business conducted involved “questionable and/or reckless” business practices, the Sarb said in a statement on April 13.
- BoE sparks controversy over expenses disclosure
- Riksbank says all banks should be ‘obliged’ to continue cash services
- Cyprus ex-governor says authorities asked for false audit of failed bank
- Norwegian government recommends Norges Bank retain control of SWF
- Iranian central bank looking for alternative to Swift, local media says