The South African Reserve Bank has appointed an independent investigator to examine VBS Bank following a report suggesting the institution had engaged in fraudulent reporting.
Terry Motau SC will examine whether any business conducted by the commercial bank was conducted with the “intent to defraud” depositors or creditors. He will also need to determine whether any of the business conducted involved “questionable and/or reckless” business practices, the Sarb said in a statement on April 13.
- Supervisory lessons: resolution is a ‘dirty business’
- Key Brexit vote complicates outlook for UK economy
- European auditors ask lawmakers for increased access to ECB documents
- Switzerland grants fintech firms access to interbank payment system
- BIS’s Borio calls on economists to take money more seriously