The South African Reserve Bank has appointed an independent investigator to examine VBS Bank following a report suggesting the institution had engaged in fraudulent reporting.
Terry Motau SC will examine whether any business conducted by the commercial bank was conducted with the “intent to defraud” depositors or creditors. He will also need to determine whether any of the business conducted involved “questionable and/or reckless” business practices, the Sarb said in a statement on April 13.
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde