The South African Reserve Bank has appointed an independent investigator to examine VBS Bank following a report suggesting the institution had engaged in fraudulent reporting.
Terry Motau SC will examine whether any business conducted by the commercial bank was conducted with the “intent to defraud” depositors or creditors. He will also need to determine whether any of the business conducted involved “questionable and/or reckless” business practices, the Sarb said in a statement on April 13.
- Trump criticises Fed over rate rises and threatens higher tariffs
- Banks tend to game stress tests, Fed economists say
- Implementation of new Sofr rate is “ahead of schedule”, says Fed vice-chair
- Central bank digital currency a ‘terrible idea’, US Congress told
- MAS strengthens use of data to combat financial crimes