The governor of the Central Bank of Sri Lanka has tendered his resignation following the surprise defeat of president Mahinda Rajapaksa in elections earlier today.
Ajith Nivard Cabraal told the outgoing president he "wishes to resign... with immediate effect in order [for] the new president [to] appoint a new governor," the central bank said in a statement.
Maithripala Sirisena, a minister in Rajapaksa's government less than two months ago, was sworn in as Sri Lanka's seventh president at 6pm (1
- Bank of Mexico admits $15.2 million went missing in cyber heist
- Is this the beginning of a new era of credit risk management technology?
- Argentina rescue advances as emerging markets suffer outflows
- BoE research says digital currency would ‘strengthen’ policy transmission
- Artificial intelligence: The future of regulation?