Federal Reserve governor Lael Brainard has rebooted her argument for banks to hold countercyclical buffers amid growing pressures on financial stability.
“At a time when cyclical pressures have been building and bank profitability has been strong, it might be prudent to ask large banking organisations to fortify their capital buffers, which could subsequently be released if conditions warrant,” she said in a speech on December 7.
Brainard raised concerns that although the financial system is
- St Louis Fed creates educational ‘multiplier effect’
- Podcast: North Macedonia on the brink of change
- ECB starts publishing senior officials’ declarations of interest
- The Belt and Road Initiative 2019 Survey – A new driver for globalisation?
- ECB and Banque de France to contribute to Notre-Dame repair fund