Economists at the Bank of Canada have attempted to quantify the impact new trade tariffs will have, concluding they are unlikely to impact prices in the long term.
In their paper, Karyne Charbonneau and Anthony Landry use trade elasticity estimates to analyse the long-term impacts of the Trump administration’s tariffs, such as those on steel and aluminium imports. The authors also analyse the additional tariffs imposed between China and the US.
“Our results suggest that the newly imposed and
- Demonetisation backer becomes new RBI governor
- Kohn ‘deeply’ worried Fed might not have support to fight next crisis
- Central banks turn to visual communication in 2018
- Indian governor resigns after conflict with government
- Book notes: Macroprudential policy and practice, edited by Paul Mizen, Margarita Rubio and Philip Turner