Lorenzo Bini-Smaghi, Austerity: European Democracies Against the Wall, CEPS, 2013, 151 pages
This work, like the book by Justin Lin reviewed in the previous pages, argues that the conventional account of the causes of the global financial crisis is superficial. The blame is often laid on factors such as the build-up of public and private debt, financial deregulation, irresponsible banking, ‘China’ and the euro. Though the search for scapegoats is a natural response, especially for those who gove
- Is this the beginning of a new era of credit risk management technology?
- BoE research says digital currency would ‘strengthen’ policy transmission
- US House passes deregulation bill with bipartisan support
- Brazil’s central bank launches fintech laboratory
- Argentina rescue advances as emerging markets suffer outflows