Internet search engine data can enable nowcasting of economic growth when official figures are unavailable, a working paper published by the Banque de France finds.
In When are Google data useful to nowcast GDP? An approach via pre-selection and shrinkage, Laurent Ferrara and Anna Simoni use what they call a large database of Google search data. They attempt to quantify how accurate this data is in nowcasting GDP growth for the eurozone.
The authors use what they call a “deliberately extremely
- Motivations and prospects for central bank digital currency
- The Belt and Road Initiative 2019 Survey – A new driver for globalisation?
- Central bankers call for ‘practical action’ to tackle climate risks
- Fintech and the future – Improving financial literacy
- ‘They could do nothing’: insights into political interference at the Fed