Distributed ledger technology could soon be used for the settlement of securities, following a breakthrough in the use of the technology by the Bank of Canada.
In the third stage of the central bank’s DLT initiative, Project Jasper, the Bank of Canada demonstrated that the instantaneous clearing and settlement of securities on-ledger “is feasible”.
For the first time, “both central bank cash and assets can be tokenised to complete an instant, end-to-end equity settlement on distributed ledger
- Podcast: San Fran Fed’s Daly on gender inequality in central banks
- Turkish central bank carries out emergency rate hike as currency falls
- Malaysian central bank sends details of own land deal to anti-corruption body
- Strike halts Australian banknote production
- Dudley calls for ‘aggressive action’ on benchmark reforms