Distributed ledger technology could soon be used for the settlement of securities, following a breakthrough in the use of the technology by the Bank of Canada.
In the third stage of the central bank’s DLT initiative, Project Jasper, the Bank of Canada demonstrated that the instantaneous clearing and settlement of securities on-ledger “is feasible”.
For the first time, “both central bank cash and assets can be tokenised to complete an instant, end-to-end equity settlement on distributed ledger
- Turkish central bank carries out emergency rate hike as currency falls
- Podcast: San Fran Fed’s Daly on gender inequality in central banks
- US House passes deregulation bill with bipartisan support
- Philippines central bank launches reorganisation
- Swift starts work on pan-European real-time payment connectivity pilot